The school curriculum at Newbury Park consists of the National Curriculum and the Extended Curriculum, which is tailored to meet the needs of our pupil community. It supports our school motto of ‘Inspiring Learners’ and endorses the school’s core values, namely:
Integrity Courage Respect Ambition
We have started the journey to develop an outstanding school curriculum. We want a curriculum that:
- is fit for purpose in the modern era;
- prepares our pupils exceptionally well for success in the next stage of their learning and;
- inspires our pupils to excel and achieve the best that they can.
We believe that our new curriculum should not only prepare pupils for secondary school but should also provide a wide range of opportunities to develop a range of skills that could potentially uncover the next Jessica Ennis, Sanath Jayasuriya or Nelson Mandela. Our curriculum will be designed to:
- develop the whole person – their knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes
- be broad, balanced with clear progression in subject knowledge and skills
- be filled with rich first-hand purposeful experiences
- be flexible and responsive to individual needs and interests
- embed the principle of sustainability
- have an eye on the future and the needs of future citizens
- encourage the use of environments and expertise beyond the classroom
- make meaningful links between areas of knowledge across the curriculum and the major issues of our time
- have a local, national and international dimension
We are developing a subject and themed approach to the school curriculum. This mix will ensure that pupils acquire essential knowledge, develop key skills through the core areas of learning and also enable a wider more purposeful application to the use of skills in practice (see table and diagram link below).
English and Maths are taught daily and an additional session is planned for the specific teaching of reading. Science, Computing & RE are taught alongside other curriculum foundation subjects within our themes/topics.
French is taught weekly in Key Stage 2 as a separate lesson. Outdoor and indoor PE lessons are timetabled each week for all classes.
Please make an appointment to see a member of the Leadership Team if you wish to discuss any aspect of the curriculum or would like further details.